Each quarter our internal research team provides an update on the global markets and how our portfolios are positioned to navigate through the current environment.
Q1 2021 Commentary
In our Q1 2021 Outlook Commentary video, Gil Lamothe, lead of the Canadian Equities portfolio, joins our President & CEO, Kevin Dehod, to share what he loves the most about his role, the importance he places on client relationships and how the new Canadian research team is positioned to manage the portfolio.
To go along with the video, is our written Outlook Commentary where we discuss how companies prepare to ramp up business due to pent up demand, low interest rates, and higher savings levels. As more of the population gets vaccinated, we expect strong economic growth once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
In this commentary, our Research Team analyzes trends in four markets and touches on several key themes including:
- An increase in M&As in Canada due to low interest rates and aligned shareholder interests
- The rotation from defensive to cyclicals in the U.S., as expansion advances
- A steepening yield curve beneficial for cyclical companies and Europe and the impact of shortage of semiconductor manufacturing capacity
- The Fed’s Average Inflation Target changing the game and opportunities in inflation hedges for Fixed Income investors
Get your questions answered and sign-up for future events and insights.
Past Outlook Commentary
In the first Outlook Commentary of 2021, our team is reflecting on the unprecedented months we are leaving behind as a means to establishing our plan for the year ahead.
The start of a new year calls for enhancements, which for us can be primarily granted to our team expansion as a result of CWB’s recent wealth acquisition. In this Outlook video, Kevin Dehod, our President & CEO, with Scott Blair, CWB Wealth Management’s Chief Investment Officer, and Ric Palombi, Director of Research and Head of International Equities, discuss the improved structure within our research team. This progression adds value to our clients by incorporating depth to our research process and harnessing our team’s expertise to its full potential. In this video, Scott and Ric also share the key themes that will be shaping the markets in 2021.
To complement this discussion, our research team is also providing insights on various topics through a written Outlook commentary
- Key developments in the reflation trade and opportunities for economic growth in the international markets
- The disproportionate recovery of the U.S. market, the risk of high expectations and the compelling risk-reward opportunities found in the banking sector
- Benefits of an active investing approach and the reasons we initiated a position in a Canadian telecom company for the first time in a decade
- How fixed income bond yields are expected to grind higher and how our portfolio is positioned in an environment where interest rates continue to normalize
* Please excuse the quality of angles of the camera – we did our best to film in our respective homes.
In our Outlook Video Commentary, our research team discusses adjustments made to our portfolios in response to the ever changing risk-reward dynamic of each individual stock.